Monday, January 2, 2012

Monday Hospital Update from Don

Thank you all for keeping me and my family in your thoughts and prayers!

Monday, January 2nd
- Continued IV steroids
- Frequency of bowel movements increased from 4 to 6, and some bleeding and cramping has resumed
- Continued exercise routine by walking the halls for 30 minutes, stretching, and doing a few exercises like calf raises, squats, push ups, and curl ups in my room
- Energy level low - fatigue

What Happened Today?
Today started out promising, but it seems to be ending with a set back. This morning, the doctor decided to keep me on the IV steroids for another day, which means that the earliest that I can go home now is Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Bummer!

Steph, Donny, and Alex came to the hospital to visit me shortly after I saw the doctor this morning, and they hung out in my room for about 3 hours and ate lunch with me. We had some good family time together playing with some of the boys' toys from Christmas, watching some TV, and eating lunch. It was definitely the highlight of my day!

Unfortunately, about an hour after Steph and the boys left, my flare started back up. The doctor didn't seem overly concerned about it, but he ordered some blood tests for this afternoon and tomorrow morning. The flare isn't as bad as Friday, but now I'm not sure if I'll be out of the hospital by Wednesday. Trying to get back into a positive state of mind, I continued my exercise routine this afternoon, which helped raise my energy level temporarily.

By dinner time, I started feeling fatigued, and I dozed off during part of the Rose Bowl game on TV. Right after I publish this post, I'll probably go to sleep early and get some extra rest.

Please continue to keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to get out of the hospital so I can be home with Steph, Donny, and Alex and resume living again! It would especially be nice to be back home for at least a couple of days before my classes start back up on Monday the 9th.

-Don

2 comments:

The James Family said...

Hey Don! We're thinking about you! Hoping that things go better tonight and that you're still able to get home on Wednesday! I was going to call you after I got the kids to bed but wasn't sure if you'd be up to talking. I'll try to call tomorrow - perhaps during my lunch break! Love you!

utförsäkrad said...

Hello! Don, I hope you feel better and that your UC has been stabilized, so you can get home to your family! It can be difficult to tackle the disease many times. I have taken care of many patients with both UC and MBC during all year I worked in health care. The treatments have still gotten better over the years, although research has long way to go before they find the keys to UC! Take care of you, cousin! Keep our fingers crossed for you that you will soon be home! (A Swedish expression)Big Hug! From
Lena